Friday, July 8, 2016

Love, That Nerdy Theatre Girl

I have a confession to make. I absolutely love the theatre. I know, not really that shocking, but there was a time not too long ago where Broadway wasn't hip and those of us who got chills at the sound of a orchestra tuning were mocked for our musical love affairs.

I saw a handful of shows when I was young including Wicked and Mamma Mia, and even though its been more than 10 years, I can still remember being utterly transfixed by the magic that happened on those stages.

As I got older, I jumped at the opportunity to make that magic for others. All throughout middle school and high school I slaved away in the ensemble to bring the magic of shows like West Side story and Beauty & the Beast to life. But this story isn't about me, it's about every other person who has made the choice to become a magic maker.

Becoming a performer is incredible, I'll admit, but it also comes with a steep price. Taking the stage is like stepping behind the veil. You see the reality behind the magic, and from that moment on, you lose your ability to see some of the sparkle.

You can never truly be an audience member again. You can never be swept up in the magic. no matter how hard you try, the little voice in the back of your head will be scrutinizing dance moves and noticing the stage hands. Every note that is even the slightest bit off becomes deafening, and the characters on stage become simply people in makeup.

Don't get me wrong, the people in this world who choose to be performers get the opportunity of a lifetime, and the thrill of being in a show if phenomenal. But they are also choosing to make a huge sacrifice. They're willing to give up the ability to be blown away by the magic, for the opportunity to create it.

So next time you see a show, take a moment to silently thank those actors. And to all of you out there who are still performing and making the magic, thank you. Every day you make it possible for someone new to fall in love with the utter magic that is theatre.  

No comments:

Post a Comment